Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ultimate Recipe Swap: Pantry Challenge ~ All Day Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce



I'm not officially participating in the Eat From the Pantry Challenge that's been going on the past few weeks.  Although, I am trying to use items I have on hand, as much as possible, rather then spend money at the grocery store. 

The Ultimate Recipe Swap hosted by Fish Mama (Life As MOM), is all about Pantry Inspiration this week!  Be sure to check it out.  You might find some recipes using items you already have in YOUR pantry! 

Today, I am trying a new recipe.  I had a pound of ground beef that never made it into the freezer that needed to get cooked today.  I'm in the mood for spaghetti with meat sauce but we are out of the jarred or canned spaghetti sauce we normally purchase. 

Searching other blogs for healthy recipe ideas, I found a recipe for Long Simmered Spaghetti Sauce posted on Kimi's blog, The Nourishing Gourmet.  After a quick check of my pantry and a few changes to accomodate missing items, this is what I threw into the crockpot today: 



All Day Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 1 lb. ground sausage
  • 28 oz. canned whole, peeled tomatoes
  • 28 oz. canned chunky-style crushed tomatoes
  • 12 oz. tomato paste
  • 16 oz. tomato sauce
  • 14 1/2 oz. vegetable broth 
  • 1 cup red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup celery, chopped
  • 2 small onions, diced 
  • 1 heaping teaspoon of minced garlic 
  • 1/2 Tbs. parsley
  • 1/2 Tbs. oregano
  • 1/2 Tbs. Mrs. Dash
  • 1/2 Tbs. crushed red pepper flakes
Directions:
  • brown the meat in a frying pan, drain. 
  • add all ingredients to crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.  
  • serve over your favorite pasta. 
This made a lot of sauce!  Since it's just the two of us, I was able to freeze 3 containers (4 1/2 cups each) of sauce for future meals.  That makes me happy!  I love knowing that I have something pre-made in the freezer for those hectic days that don't allow time for cooking and the budget just can't afford take out. 

The sauce itself, was well seasoned, but was thinner than we are normally used to eating.  I may play around with the ingredients a bit until it's perfect for us.  We did think that instead of the beef and sausage, that seafood would be a good paired with this sauce.  Mussels, scallops or shrimp.  Mmmm! 

Edited:   Photo added and review of recipe after meal time!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy! I nice change from the Jar sauces....:)

Stephanie
www.momreviewtb.com

Alison said...

Thanks, Stephanie!
I'm trying to buy less "jarred" stuff. That's why we were out of it really! But I didn't get around to making "home made" yet. I'm hoping to find just the right combination for us and keep it on hand in the freezer.

Lisa Babcock said...

I LOVE how you cooked it up in the crock pot. Great idea.

Alison said...

Lisa, as you know, the crock pot has been a real life saver as far as meals go even since the baby's been born!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...